1. How to install an external optical drive on a computer?
Most external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives are equipped with USB-A or USB-C cable and do not need an additional driver program, just plug it into your computer, it will automatically, and you will see the external device. For mac users, if you cannot see the external optical drive, please insert your disc.
2. What else do I need to do to use the plug-and-play external optical drive?
Many external optical drives claim to support plug and play, but this only means that you do not need to install additional drivers. The external optical drive is just hardware, you still need to download and install a media player or burning software to complete the reading and writing of the optical disc.
3. What should I do if my external optical drive cannot be recognized by a Windows 10 or Mac computer?
It’s one of the common problems we may encounter when using an external optical drive or hard drive, recommend to try 3 simple methods first：
- Remove the USB hub or docking station and plug the optical drive directly into your computer.
- Reboot your computer and replug the external optical drive.
- Try different USB ports on your PC
- Mac computer may not detect an external optical drive unless there is a disc in the player.
4. Which media player is the best to play DVDs on Windows 10 computer?
Here is the list of popular DVD Players for Windows 10 in 2021:
- VideoLAN VLC media player (Free)
- 5KPlayer (Free)
- Kodi (Free)
- Leawo (Free and Paid Premium Version)
- CyberLink PowerDVD (Paid)
- DVD Player-Free
- KMPlayer (Free)
5. Which media player is the best to play DVDs on a Mac computer?
Here is the list of popular DVD Players for Mac OS in 2021:
6. What is the region code?
DVD (digital versatile disc) region codes are a digital rights management technique designed to allow rights holders to control the international distribution of a DVD release, including its content, release date, and price, all according to the appropriate region. Know more on Wikipedia.
7. How to change the DVD drive region code on Windows and Mac OS?
Change region code in Windows:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box. Type in devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- When the Device Manager window opens, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. Right-click on your DVD player and then select Properties.
- Click on the DVD Region tab. Select the region in which you want to change and click OK.
Change region code in Mac:
- Insert the DVD into the optical drive on your Mac computer. A dialog box will open, prompting you to select a region for your DVD drive.
- Consult the DVD package to verify which region code to use. For example, Canada, the United States, and U.S. territories use Region 1, while China uses Region 6.
- Click the “Change Drive Region to” drop-down menu, and then click the region code.
- Click “Set Drive Region.”
- Click on the “Lock” icon to save your settings.
8. Can not open the tray, how to get my disc out?
If your tray loading external optical drive cannot open the tray, please use a toothpick or a paperclip to press the button in the forced ejection hole and get your disc back.
9. Can I Use an External CD/DVD Drive with Chromebook?
Yes, but you better know some limitations to play discs on a Chromebook through this post.
10. Can I use an external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive to install Windows OS?
Yes, you can insert your Windows DVDs and boot off the external DVD drive in the boot menu to install your Windows OS step by step.
11. Can I load programs (e.g., Turbo Tax, etc.) to my computer’s hard drive from an external optical drive?
Yes… it’s identical to having an internal CD drive.
12. Can I use an external optical drive on my cellphone?
No! Most external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives are designed for Windows, Mac, Linux computers. However, if you want to use an external CD/DVD drive on your Android phone or tablet, you can check this one.
13. What kind of USB hub/docking station can be used with an external optical drive?
If your external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive has no extra power supply cable, we recommend you use a self-powered USB hub/docking station in case that the USB ports on the hub/docking station cannot supply enough power for the external optical drive through a single data cable.
14. How to solve the problem that the USB interface cannot provide enough power to the external optical drive?
Three methods: 1. Use a powered USB hub/docking station. 2. Buy an external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive with its own power port and power cable. 3. If the external optical drive you purchased is equipped with a removable data cable, you can try a USB Y-Cable.
15. Can I view or load pictures on a disk through an external DVD drive?
Yes, you can!
16. Can I use an external CD/DVD drive on a car?
No! You can’t use an external optical drive on a car or truck due to system limitations.
17. Can I use an external CD/DVD drive to play Blu-ray discs?
No! External CD/DVD drive can only play CDs and DVDs. If you need to play Blu-ray discs, please try an external Blu-ray drive.
18. Is there a region-free external CD/DVD drive or Blu-ray drive?
No! Currently, there is no portable USB external optical drive that can support region-free, and you only have 5 times to change the region code. If you need to play discs from different countries, recommend traditional DVD players.
19. Can I use an external CD/DVD drive on my Surface Pro or Surface Go?
Although most external DVD drives are compatible with Windows Surface Pro/Go, due to the power shortage, many optical drives cannot work properly. Check this article for recommended external CD/DVD drives for Surface Pro/Go.